Sunday 6 March 2016

Of Mutual Benefit....

Following on from last post - a very brief overview of Cavalier at Tunbridge - I thought it would be a good idea to detail my half of the exchange I undertook with Bob Cordery of Wargaming Miscellany fame. My part of the transaction was a pile of blue Hexon terrain tiles (the remaining green and desert sets are now heading north of the border) and in exchange I received rather a nice and useful selection of books. Bob is a cunning chap and I suspect that he knew EXACTLY which of his titles that he had deemed surplus to requirements would be of interest to me - and he was not wrong!


The North West Frontier in two quite different wars - one that Wellington would have been comfortable with and the other with lorries and aircraft. They have certainly made me think about revisiting the Roghan Valley!


A smattering of naval titles - all at the lower tactical end of the spectrum and therefore hugely gameable! The two that have proven to be of most interest are the small paperback on inland river transport in Mesopotamia and that wonderful book on the Konigsberg.


The rest of the rest. The three pamphlets you see are from Pallas Armata and cover the campaign in Thrace during the Balkan War whilst the three Hoyt titles speak for themselves. The Zanzibar title is also very interesting and is full of ideas for small scale actions - gunboats, landing parties and similar.


NOT from Bob but worth mentioning all the same.

The final title in this post caught my eye simple because the Lawrence connection. Sea power dominated the Red Sea and the elderly ships of the RN that were on station gave sterling service in support of the Arab Revolt. Whilst the Turks had no naval presence to speak of the potential for some cracking 'what if?' actions is huge.

I would like to thank Bob for the enormous selection of titles he conjured up and for a variety of reasons all of them have an immediate use....



7 comments:

Ray Rousell said...

Some very useful addition to your collection Dave, so where did you hide these??

David Crook said...

Hi Ray,

They are all happily residing in the man cave in the loft - a domain were SWMBO fears to tread so they are quite safe....

All the best,

DC

Jonathan Freitag said...

Robson's Road to Kabul is my favorite!

Conrad Kinch said...

Nice haul there DC. I've heard very good things about that Road to Kabul book.

David Crook said...

Hi Jonathan,

That is the one I am reading at present and it is a cracker!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi there Mr C,

I have just started reading the Kabul title and it is rattling along very nicely. My only gripe is that the print is very small!

All the best,

DC

tradgardmastare said...

A most interesting selection David.
Alan