Tuesday 27 May 2014

Doing exactly what it says on the tin....

I managed to sneak in an hour or so with a paintbrush yesterday but it was fraught with peril! My trusty tin of Humbrol 'Mast Oak' has finally expired. This tin of enamel paint was probably around 30 years old and had been rescued with the application of some thinners on several occasions but when I opened it the mass of paint had finally turned into liquefied mess of granules with little covering capacity.

I had seen this coming and indeed, had discussed the same with Mr Fox who very kindly acquired some Vallejo paints in the appropriate shade to be collected in due course.

This did not resolve the immediate problem so I decided to have a rummage in my paint storage (the 'Old Tins home' if you like....) to see if I had another tin. As suspected, the search drew a blank BUT, I did manage to find another Humbrol Authenticolour that could feasibly be used - certainly the shade was close enough. The new tin (actually it had been opened which could have spelled disaster as I have no idea when I last used it!) is yet another Humbrol Authenticolour, this time from the Ancients set - 'Unbleached Linen'.

This is absolutely close enough to the original shade as not to present any problems and the paint merely needed a good stir to be ready for action. Panic over and so I was able to tackle the wooden decking for the next 7 ships for the Royal Navy with a view to finishing this bunch by the weekend.

2 comments:

Ray Rousell said...

Its great what a little digging in the shed can find!!

David Crook said...

Hi Raymondo,

It was in the bottom of a cupboard to be exact but I take your point!

It will mean though, that I will be able to get the models finished for the weekend.

All the best,

DC