Sunday 21 April 2013

Not Quite Salute....

I did not attend Salute this year - nor have I done so since it was last at Olympia! My reasons over the years are many and varied but on this occasion there was one reason only. Finance, pure and simple. It would probably cost me the best part of £30 to travel to the show and to pay to get in and given my (still) unemployed status this is a big chunk of money spent even before hitting the trade stands! Sadly I cannot justify that kind of outlay at present.  Assuming I am in work by next year then I will certainly be giving Salute 2014 a visit - and you can bet on that!


For me, a piece of Napoleonic nostalgia

In the meantime though, the boot sale season has started up again in earnest - despite the recent snow and wet weather. SWMBO and I managed to fit in three boot sales over the course of Saturday and Sunday and I was pretty successful in two of them. To begin with I picked up a copy of the Blandford title: 'Uniforms of Waterloo' by Philip Haythornthwaite. I have owned this book in the past and wanted to reacquire it in order to add it the 1815 section of my library. It is a very nice title and I recall using it a lot when I was painting Airfix Napoleonics back in the mid 1970s.


The image came from Amazon - my camera is currently in the lounge and I am in the other room....

I also picked up a copy of 'Scrimgeour's Small Scribbling Diary 1914 to 1916' and subtitled 'The Truly Astonishing Wartime Diary And Letters Of An Edwardian Gentleman, Naval Officer, Boy And Son'. I am really looking forward to reading this as it gives a great insight into the lot of a young midshipman during the war. Sadly the author lost his life on HMS Invincible at Jutland in 1916 aged a mere 19 years old.

The final title was a paperback copy of 'The Fort' by Bernard Cornwall and set during the American revolution. This is not really my period but the book has been highly recommended so I thought I would give it a spin. Bernard Cornwall needs no introduction so I will not bother to do so - it does look like cracking read though and very inspirational in terms of the action depicted.

Finally, I also picked up a couple of packs of 1ft square cork floor tiles - with nine tiles in each pack. Needless to say I have a cunning plan for these, details of which will remain a closely guarded secret for the time being.

My entire boot sale expenditure for the weekend came in at £3.40 with the books costing £1.50, £1 and 50p respectively, with the two packs of cork a mere 40p.

Not quite the retail marathon that is Salute but satisfying all the same!


12 comments:

tradgardmastare said...

Some great finds and bargains- well done Sir!

David Crook said...

Hi Tradgardmastare,

I was very pleased indeed - especially with the cork tiles for reasons which will become apparent in due course.

All the best,

DC

Ray Rousell said...

The Fort is a good book, not his best, but still a good read.

David Crook said...

Hi Ray,

I must admit that I tend to enjoy the idea behind Bernard Cornwall's book more than the writing style he uses but whilst the execution may not be my taste his ideas and stories are usually great!

All the best,

DC

Mike said...

Good finds, I remember a guy in our gaming group had "Armies of Waterloo." I had, and still have, the two Funken Napoleonic books and we used to argue about which was best; ah youth!
That cork will cover a large area; interesting...

David Crook said...

Hi Mike,

I remember Armies at Waterloo - Ugo Pericoli as I recall - and also the Funckens. I used to have them on more or less permanent loan from the library.

The cork has a specific use which will feature in a post at a later date assuming my idea works out OK.

All the best,

DC

Unknown said...

I felt like those of us who didn't attend Salute should have linked up a "I didn't go to Salute" bloghop I mowed the lawn yesterday-how very exciting!

You got some good buys in and had a much better day than me!

David Crook said...

Hi Anne,

I was quite keen to go this year but baulked at the amount of 'dead money' that would be involved. As I am still unemployed I tend to have to recycle the collection for any new stuff I need - selling off old for new. It is actually good fun and has helped to both focus my efforts and ensure that I make progress with those projects I do have.

Boot sales are great for the odd bargain and you can spend the cash without your conscience being pricked!

BTW, the lawn was mowed last Monday - together with jet washing the patio and drive.

All the best,

DC

BigLee said...

Pity you couldn't make it this year but totally understand. It is expensive to attend. I split the cost of parking with my brother-in-law but with the ticket it still meant we had paid £15 before we got in the show itself. And don't even mention the food and drink....

David Crook said...

Hi Lee,

It is funny that whilst I was working I would not have been overly concerned about the cost (although it is pretty stiff price wise)but as I am unemployed I simply cannot justify the expense.

Next year I will go (assuming I am working of course) but I am thinking advance tickets and taking my own food and drink would be an idea. Also, if you are lugging a load of rations around with you you are less likely to want to carry a load of new purchases....(depending on how much you eat of course!).

All the best,

DC

Michael said...

Well if you have a kindle, there are a plethora of cheap (and free) books to try for inspiration. I've always wondered about Salute but haven't been in London since the "Last Run" Royal Tournament in 1999.

David Crook said...

Hi Michael,

I have a Sony reader which has proven to be really handy for a lot of old titles.

I used to go to Salute regularly back in the days when it was still at Kensington Town Hall!

All the best,

DC