Sunday 30 October 2011

Tried - Failed - Need to think again!

My experiments with painting the cheapo modern 54mm plastics were not exactly crowned with success. They looked abysmal in fact! I tried two techniques - the first being the traditional 'old toy soldier' style and the second  using the 'Army Painter' method. Of the two the latter was far the best but they still looked plain wrong in my eyes. Certain aspects were positive though - the use of a thick PVA undercoat worked nicely and even the acrylics were pretty successful in their application. I was also quite pleased with the bases.

With so many plus points you could be forgiven for wondering exactly why I am so despondent. I cannot answer that one fully other than I suppose because I had such high hopes initially that when the end result did not quite live up to expectations it came as a bit of a blow.

My thoughts are now looking at using simpler figures (simpler as in the level of detail) but with a flat painting style and gloss varnish which will capture the spirit of the look I am trying to achieve.

'Nil Desperandum' seems a very apt comment at this stage of the process!

6 comments:

Mosstrooper said...

Think one of the main problems with 'modern' 54mm plastics is they are often far more animated than the old lead soldier . This is what makes them unsuitable for me .

David Crook said...

Hi Mosstrooper,

That was certainly part of the problem but as a cheap test bed they sufficed - if only to prove that whilst my thinking was sound the execution was a little awry!

All the best,

DC

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

David,

Sorry to hear of your problems with your attempts to paint these 54mm figures. Perhaps they will look better tomorrow after you have had a good night's sleep.

All the best,

Bob

David Crook said...

Hi Bob,

Possibly - although I am unconvinced! It has given me pause for thought though - for reasons that will become obvious in due course.

All the best,

DC

Chris said...

A guy on TMP who goes by "Sgt Slag" recommends the "dip" method with cheapo plastics: paint just the features that stand out--the weapon, hands and face, boots--and then dip the figure in brown stain or shaded Future Floor Wax. The figures come out very nicely shaded, and are immune to handling damage on top of that. The pictures I've seen are very impressive. Best of all, it's cheap and fast.

Best regards,

Chris

David Crook said...

Hi Chris,

I have heard of this technique and am sure someone at the club (SEEMS) has tried something similar. I will look into this although events have taken a fairly dramatic turn since then.

All the best and many thanks,

David Crook