Saturday 27 February 2010

Peter Laing has Landed

I collected the Early WW1 Peter Laing painted 15mm collection from the redoutable Mr Fox yesterday evening and very impressive it is! I will report in full later once I have had the chance to fully review it all but suffice it say at this stage gobsmacked does not even come close! Lots of kit and lots of rebasing but using the 40mm frontage with 3 infantry figures on looks fine so it will mean that there will be extra units made available from breaking up the 4s. The only downside I can see at the moment is the cavalry - the lances are pretty bent and a couple are missing so some repairs and refurbs will be in order - this was hardly surprising though, given the age of the collection.

Painting wise they are, to be honest, pretty rough but in as much as the original job was applied quite sloppily e.g. going over edges too widely etc. Given the quality of the figures though this does not seem too bad. The figures themselves are true 15mm and are quite 'toy soldier' like in terms of detail which I have no problem with. Apparently some of the original Peter Laing moulds were acquired by a gentleman in Scotland somewhere but I have no details in connection with this. Hopefully they will come back into production as I think they are great figures - ideal for the tabletop and easy to paint as well.

2 comments:

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

Sounds like you have got a real bargain!

As you might have gathered from my latest blog entry, I am having a major re-tink about my Morschauser rules. The 40mm forntage would fit in well with a 50mm/2-inch grid, which might be more appropriate for 15mm figures whereas the 75mm/3-inch grid will work better with larger figures.

All the best,

Bob

David Crook said...

Hi Bob, I think you are right for the 15mm figures and the 2" square - they look a little sparse in the bigger square. 3" is fine for 28mm although the problem arises when you start using vehicles as they are often too large for the 3 inch version. Chris was using 4 inch squares simply because his cavalry figures are based on one 1 inch frontages. The smaller 2" squares takes us back to Table Top Battles which I guess was where we came in!

All the best,

Ogre