Monday 14 September 2009

Defeat in Detail - The Ottoman Army in the Balkan Wars 1912 - 1913



I am a very happy gamer at the moment. The picture above is of my copy of this wonderful title now residing safely in the Rayleigh Factorium Library. For anybody interested in this period this is an absolute gem and in fact, even if the period does nothing for you then you would surely fully appreciate the level of detail, scale, scope and quantity of information contained therein. At the risk of sounding cliched - this book is one of my wargaming defining moments!

Seriously though, and whilst trying to control my breathing and to still my thunderously beating heart (sorry, I must rein this in a little...) I have to say this book is an absolute goldmine of information. To give an idea of the content take a look at the chapter headings:
1. Defeat and Military Reform 1877 - 1910
2. Revolutions and the Eastern Question 1877 - 1912
3. Nexus of Disaster 1911 - 1912
4. The Thracian Campaigns 1912
5. The Macedonian Campaigns 1912
6. The Greek and Montenegrin Campaigns 1912
7. The Armistice and Military Politics
8. The Thracian Campaigns 1913
9. The Western Theater: Greece and Albania
10. Final Operations
11. Defeat in Detail: Conclusion
The book also contains an overview of Turkish aviation and even one of the amphibious operations the Turks attempted is described. There is an extensive bibliography and some 60 odd maps - both tactical and strategic in nature as well as orders of battle and whom was where and when. I am going to savour this one in no uncertain terms and the Balkan Wars project may see the light of day sooner rather than later as a result.

6 comments:

Paul O'G said...

Well done that Man! Huzzah! Although I dont see a chapter in that lst which details the formulation of the Ottoman Air Fleet...

David Crook said...

I am so pleased to have got this and the chapter on the Ottoman Air Fleet curiously was left out.............cant think why so I will contact he author about this inexplicable omission!

Paul O'G said...

Indeed it is a grevious omission! Anything more on those Nordenfelt aquanefs I posted a pic of a YIAWWS?

David Crook said...

There is a small section on this inthe Ottoman Steam Navy 1828 to 1923. I will try and scan it and ping it over to you. Great looking submarine though - I think perhaps the CSS Manassas might be used as the basis for a model for this - at least on the surface anyway.

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

What a great book to find! I am very, very envious!

All the best,

Bob

David Crook said...

I was absolutely delighted to get this for obvious reasons. There is not a great deal in English that is easily available covering this period and so this book is even more valuable. Certainly it will provide an enormous amount of information for my Balkan Wars project. As mentioned, the bibliography is very comprehensive and provides another dimension - sadly my Turkish is not up the challenge! The only downside is that the lure of Irregular Miniatures is getting stronger by the day...........;-)