Friday 8 May 2009

........And so it begins................

I have finally taken the plunge into the world of blogging (actually my second attempt but no matter, the first died of boredom some time ago!) and feel that Ishould perhaps point out what my current ongoing project list looks like. We all have these on the go and for me, half the fun is spending a lot of time on something and then moving on elsewhere...only kidding, but it is a common theme amongst the denizens of my games club, that of too many projects and not enough time to finish them. Following on from my redundancy of 10 weeks (to the day) I have now found myself, between trawling the net for jobs etc with a certain amount of free time to indulge in a few of my more obscure ideas for games. So, to kick off with, here is the current list of projects circulating in what passes for my brain...............

1/3000th Gridded Naval - Balkan Wars and WW1 using a version of Phil Barkers DBSA rules.

For this I need to scope the rules to run up to 1918, bring my existing Grek and Turkish fleets up to their 1914 shape and complete a 1914 Russian Black Sea Fleet. I then have something a whole lot larger in mind.....................;-)

War at Sea the WW2 Naval Collectable Miniatures Game.

This is a toughie as whilst I love the models (scaled at 1/1800th) they are too large for my gaming space available at home - in fact i can only use them at the club on three of their normal sized tables. Some big decisions will have to be made with this as disposal of the entire collection to finance 1/3000th fleets may be an option.

Tabletop Battles - the gridded rule book.

These rules are a godsend for me as they enable grid based and stylised games for a variety of periods using simple (but not simplistic) mechanics and with the priceless advantage of being robust enough to stand any amount of tinkering. A wargaming acquaintance of mine is working on some WW2 variants which hold a lot of promise. For myself however, they will allow me to indulge in any number of plastic 20mm flights of fancy!

VSF

I still have a Turkish Dirigible fleet to complete - together with the RNAS Red Sea Squadron for use with Land Ironclads and my still bubbling Arab Revolt VSF style.

These are the projects that are currently on the front burner and waiting in the wings I have the 2mm Sci Fi set up to think about, a couple of fictional 18th century armies, some army level rules for horse and musket (not to mention the armies to go with them!) and some 28mm Sci Fi Skirmish stuff. Then of course is the spectre of some DBA armies.............

4 comments:

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

Well done! I look foward to reading your blog as it develops, and following your projects wherever they go.

Bob

David Crook said...

Many thanks Bob - I must confess that the two most influential blogs I am following are both your own and Yours in a White Wine Sauce which is devoted to all things Victorian Science Fiction. I must also confess that having things down in black and white mean that have a chance of seeing the light of day!

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Interesting to go back to the birth of other people's blogs ;)

David Crook said...

Hi Geordie,

That was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away....:-)

All the best,

DC